Happy New Year! Since we’re still in January, I feel like I can say that :)I hope that you had a great holiday season, and that this new year is going well for you.
I know that I’ve been MIA lately, and I apologize for that. Life has felt like this overwhelming roller-coaster and I was struggling, but I’m back.
I realize that everyone makes resolutions at this time of year, and I generally don’t because I don’t want to be disappointed, but I feel like I need to organize the goals that I have for this year in a public space, and hopefully that will motivate me. So here are my goals that I want to achieve.
- Finish the Kayla Itsines Workout: I played sports in high school, I danced in college and now that I’m out, I struggle with being active on purpose. I don’t enjoy treadmills and running means nothing to me if I’m not racing someone. I’ve started Kayla’s workout a few times, but then I got mono and lost motivation, but this time I want to finish it. Since its only 30 minutes, 3 times a week for 12 weeks, it shouldn’t be hard but it is. hopefully by April I will be celebrating the fact that I stuck to it.
- Invest in Experiences: I’m such a homebody lately, but there are so many concerts, movies, plays, art galleries…that I want to attend. This year, I want to have at least one experience each month. Something that I can look back on and have fond memories of. If you have any ideas let me know.
- Pay my student loans: While I’m still hoping that some miracle will happen and my loans will be gone, I know that I have to pay what I can, right now. It hurts my heart, and my pockets but paying more than the monthly minimum is my goal this year.
- Laugh at myself more: This has been a struggle already. Between losing my wallet in the snow, getting stuck in the snow, destroying the rim of one of my tires, and losing my glasses, I’m feeling like a hot mess so far. I need to start looking at these incidents with a new perspective and laughing more about it.
- Invest in my passions: I love singing, I love photography, I want to learn how to sew, I want to read more. Yet I find excuses to not take the opportunities given to me. So this year, I will do more of it all. I want to know that I’m not just making excuses.
- Invest in relationships: Due to the insanity of my last year, I regressed a lot in how I deal with people. I’ve been hiding a lot, and not following through with my plans to spend time with people. That’s not good for my mental and emotional health.
- Clean my room: I know this sounds trivial, but I’m looking at my dresser and cringing right now. I think I’m becoming a hoarder and that’s not good. So I need to get rid of things that I don’t use. In the past I’ve made excuses for why I haven’t donated or sold some items, but not anymore.
- Be joyful, be positive, be content, be honest, be courageous: This is both the hardest and simplest one on this list. It recently came to my knowledge that I struggle in these aspects. So this year, I choose to work on having a better attitude, and giving my attitude to God. I need a change of heart and he’s the only one who can help me with it.
- Spend less time on social media: I’ve been using social media to hide from my responsibilities and goals. I deleted all the apps on my phone, except for Pinterest (I use it for this blog) and I deactivated what I could. I don’t think it’s bad to have these things, but I’ve let it get in the way of other things (studying for exams for the next stage of my life, using it to be petty…) Since my church is fasting for 21 days, I’m staying of them until those 21 days are over. I need to be more in the now and engaged in the world around me.
- Surrender: I have issues that I continue to lay on the alter, and snatch back. It’s very foolish and just leaves me hurting. So this year, I want to do that more. Where God calls me to trust him, I want to trust him. Where he tells me to move, I want to move. What he tells me to give up, I want to give up.
I know that this will take baby steps and I will sometimes fail in them, but its my hope that at the end of the year, I will have achieved a lot of them. What are your goals for this year? how do you plan on achieving them? let me know below.